Now with 20% more shitposting

Rock Hard Quarry

Rebirth, Relieve, Respawn

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Mail service is now fully working and it now does TLS Standard Encryption. So it should no longer send mails to the spam or fail to send.

Hey guest, why not log in Rock Hard Quarry and take the advantage to post here.
You can't take advantage of that staying as a guest! Login Now!

#1 01-10-2014 06:19:23

Criss
Contributor
Contributor Sailing Away
Rocks: 50,000

Classical Music

Ah yes, the true sonification  of the soul, the ultimate pedant's mark of snobbishness and pomposity: classical music

As someone who was raised from a very young age in the classical/alternative music store that was my father's, I've always had a keen interest in this sometimes-loved or sometimes-hated genre: indeed there has always been a lack of middle ground in this respect—people either seem delighted and impassioned at the sound of classical music, or dismiss it as an irrelevant and overrated mark of age and treat it with disdain for the pomp and circumstance and egotism which they presume often accompanies it.

Nevertheless,  in the music section of RHQ I thought we could have a friendly discussion and exchange of favourite pieces, epoques, sonatas, concertos, ballads, arias and whatever else have you.

For those of you who don't know, I've included some breakdown on what actually is covered under the title of "classical music" below.

The Periods of Classical Music

Baroque (1580-1730)

Often remembered for it's "medieval feel", the baroque era's defining characteristics were it's development in the field of band formation, tonality, music theory and advancement in the crafting of instruments, all culminating in the to dissonant yet pleasing, large (and sometimes harsh) sound that is so recognizable today. Some of the most famous composers in this period were Bach, Handel, Scarlatti and Vivaldi.

For an example on baroque sound, please enjoy one of my favourite traditional harpsichord pieces, Handel's Harpsichord Suite No. 7 in G-Minor (Passacaglia)

Classical (1730-1820)

Ah, the Classical Period - most certainly one of the easiest to recognize for the average listener. Comprised of some of the most well-known composers to this day (Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Haydn), this era changed the course of music very completely in less than one hundred years. This period is most well known for it's furthering in the composition of an orchestra, the complexity of the melody and the exploration into different musical motifs. In layman's terms, this era focused a lot more on sounding less 'regal' and more passionate and closer representation of the human voice through instruments. 

To truly give an example on how fundamentally different this period's music was, I'm providing two of my favourite pieces as examples: Schubert's arguably most famous work, his Serenade, and Mozart's Symphony No. 25, Movement 1 respectively.

Romantic (1815–1910)

The mystery of the human mind! Nationalism and Pride! Revolution! Such feelings often ignored in earlier classical music due to high rates of composition commissions and the hard-set ideals of the age of enlightenment, this era reflected the revolutionary wars, Romanticism and the literary/artistic movement of Europe at the time. In a short copy-and-pasted response: The Romantic movement was an artistic, literary, and intellectual movement that originated in the second half of the 18th century in Europe and strengthened in reaction to the Industrial Revolution. In part, it was a revolt against social and political norms of the Age of Enlightenment and a reaction against the scientific rationalization of nature. These ideals were highlighted by famous composers of time, such as Grieg, Chopin, Debussey, Dvorak and Sibelius. Beethoven receives an honourable mention due to the fact that he bridged the gap between the Classic and Romantic Eras, often considered the father of musical Romanticism.

I've provided two examples of loved pieces of mine, one composed by Sibelius, called Finlandia after the country of Finland (A shameleslly patriotic piece) and one with more focus on the abstract nature of...well, nature and the human psyche:  Chopin's Nocturne, opus 9, no. 1

That's enough overview for now. As always, if anyone has any questions or requests, I (or one of my colleagues, I'm sure) will endeavour to answer to our fullest capacities.

In short, discuss classical music cool

#2 01-11-2014 19:11:05

tekwerk
tektwerk
VIP Rock Gatherer Loyal Sempai Club Special Sailing Away

Rocks: 360,853

Re: Classical Music

Back when I used to play Orbiter religiously (back before I "worshiped" Madokami, Shrek, or anything like that, I worshiped a Luna 3 probe.), I got acquainted with Air on a G String, and holy hell is it a fantastic piece. The thing is, it's usually played at weddings and occasions of that sort, but I feel it's much more fitting when used to describe the majesty of the universe.

jnvk4M0.gifJBLad.png
CZbbQSJW0AAXCpm.jpg

#3 01-11-2014 22:09:20

Criss
Contributor
Contributor Sailing Away

I've always had a love-hate relationship with Bach. Some of his pieces feel infinitely trivial and boring and then some are just fantastic, if a little simple.

My favourite work of his is arguably his most famous, toccata and fugue in d minor.

A cool version of it:

#4 01-11-2014 23:12:38

roman117
Super Contributor
Super Contributor Sailing Away

From a video game, but still counts as classical.

T14zd9G.jpg
LISTEN UP, NERD. THE WEIGHTS WITH THE HIEROGLYPHS ON THEM ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO LIFT UNLESS YOU POSSES THE CORRESPONDING RUNESTONE. THIS IS HELL GYM.

#5 01-11-2014 23:53:09

clarkz
VIP
Super Veteran Rock Street Wizard Donator Reporter Sempai Club Special Shitposter Prime Number Sailing Away
Rocks: 13,896,964

we're playing this in orchestra 10/10

hamelin + schnittke/alkan is OTP

vxbjVFh.pngN9fh0QY.pngR7Aam6Y.gif

#6 01-13-2014 00:52:37

Criss
Contributor
Contributor Sailing Away

Just wanted to share my favourite piano concerto

#7 03-29-2014 00:28:06

clarkz
VIP
Super Veteran Rock Street Wizard Donator Reporter Sempai Club Special Shitposter Prime Number Sailing Away
Rocks: 13,896,964

since solo and ensemble season is over i thought it would be an apt time to visit this thread

right now we're playing barber's adagio for strings which was posted by roman above^^^ it's actually a classical piece i forgot to tell you, aka not vidya

my solo piece was adagio on celtic melodies which is really nice if a bit simple performed by waifu:

next year for solo and ensemble i'm doing some uguu schubert

at our spring concert our senior cellist is leaving (she's a prissy bitch thank god) and so we're performing the kabalevsky cello concerto movement 1 which is really nice

i wish somebody on rhq actually had opinions on classical music other than moja

vxbjVFh.pngN9fh0QY.pngR7Aam6Y.gif

Board footer

[ Generated in 0.011 seconds, 8 queries executed - Memory usage: 1.08 MiB (Peak: 1.22 MiB) ]